This Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes recipe is a great way to celebrate any occasion, but especially St. Patrick’s Day. These are extra fun since the mint chocolate chip frosting looks like a scoop of ice cream on top.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes: Making
This Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes recipe is easy to make. Here is a quick visual walkthrough. Full recipe below.
Bake the chocolate cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
Mix the easy Mint Chocolate Chip frosting ingredients together, then freeze for a few minutes to firm up, finally scoop the frosting onto the cupcakes. No fussy decorations, but cute results!.
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 6 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Mint Extract
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Green Food Coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat brown sugar and butter together in a large bowl at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix again, until smooth.
- In a separate, bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt . Then add flour mixture to wet mixture Beat until smooth.
- Line muffin/cupcake tin with paper liners, and spoon in batter 3/4 full.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes (when pick pulls clean from center).
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream butter in a large bowl.
- Add mint and 10 drops of food coloring.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add milk a little at a time until icing becomes creamy.
- Transfer about 1/2 cup icing to another bowl and set aside.
- Fold in chocolate chips until well distributed.
- Place icing in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using icing with no chips, ice a ring around the edge of the cupcake.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop up a scoop of firm icing. Press down in middle of scoop to create an indentation and place on the ringed cupcake.
- Repeat for remaining cupcakes.