These Lemon Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies are great anytime of year, but here they are dressed up for spring! They would make a great Easter Dessert or Mother's Day treat.
Lemon Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies
These lemon spritz cookies are enriched with cream cheese which adds flavor and a lovely texture to the cookies. I find spritz cookies much easier to make in larger batches than cut out cookies. There is less mess and wasted dough too. If you aren't in the mood for lemon cookies try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Spritz Cookies seeking another cream cheese cookie recipe, my Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies are a great option!
While spritz cookies are not often frosted, why not? I think they look charming in their bright spring colors piped frosting.
How to Make Frosted Spring Spritz Cookies
These cookies are relatively easy to make. Here are a few pictures to guide you along. Full recipe on printable card below.
Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies
First preheat your oven.
Cream together the softened cream cheese, butter, salt, and sugar.
Mix in the egg, lemon extract and lemon zest. Then add the flour and mix well.
Use the cookie press to pipe the spritz cookies directly onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until edges are golden brown (approximately 10-12 minutes).
Now make a simple lemon buttercream frosting to decorate the cookies with.
Start with softened butter and lemon juice.
Mix in powdered sugar until the consistency of frosting.
Add lemon zest and mix in.
Divide and tint frosting as you like and pipe or spread on the cooled cookies.
Make Ahead Tip:
If you want to prep the cookies ahead of time, either store the unfrosted cookies in an airtight container for a few days or freeze. You can then frost the evening before or on that day. Allowing the icing to dry out a few hours before serving is ideal.
More Fun Lemon Desserts
Lemon is such a fantastic spring and summer flavor. Here are a few of my lemon desserts for you to try. Links directly below the collage.
Greek Yogurt Lemon Donuts with Lemon Icing
Lemon Oreo Cheesecake (no bake)
Lemon Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies with Lemon Buttercream
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon extract
- The zest from one lemon
- 2 ¾ cups flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup lemon juice roughly two lemons worth
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- The zest from one lemon
- Pink and green food coloring
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add egg yolk, lemon extract, and lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Add flour and salt and mix until well combined.
- Scoop dough into cookie press and press cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet using one of the flower disks.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before icing.
For the Buttercream:
- Combine the butter and lemon juice in the bowl of an electric mixer. Cream together on low speed until the ingredients are completely combined and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar to the butter mixture one cup at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- When the icing is thick and creamy and has reached the desired consistency, add the lemon zest and mix to combine.
- Separate the icing into two bowls (a small bowl for the green icing and a larger bowl for the pink icing). Add pink food coloring to one bowl and green food coloring to another bowl. Mix each bowl of buttercream until the desired color is reached.
- Using a star tip, pipe pink icing onto the petals of each flower. Finish by adding a dot of green icing to the center of each flower.
The only change needed to make these gluten free cookies is the substitute of gluten-free flour. The other ingredients naturally don't contain gluten. Bob's red Mill and King Arthur both make very nice gluten free baking flours.
Leave a Reply