This healthy sausage and rabe recipe is pretty quick to make, since much of the prep work can be done during the cooking process. Most of us that cook a lot, tend to do this anyway, but with this particular recipe it seems to time out just right.
It all started this morning, I was rifling through the vegetable drawer in my ancient fridge for omelet fixin’s and came across some rather dismal kale. It was beyond salvation, and the small bunch of broccoli rabe beside it was accusingly eyeing me, “Your not going to let me go that way..are you?!?”
I promptly went to the Cooking Light website to browse what they had been doing with rabe. I found some inspiration in their Penne with Sausage, Garlic, and Broccoli Rabe. As is typical for me, I did not stick to the program. I swapped chicken sausage for the turkey ones in their recipe, and of course threw in a few more ingredients… since I struggle with keeping things simple & wanted a bit of extra color. I also used Campanelle rather than penne, since I love the sturdiness and texture of this pasta shape. It makes a much nicer overall presentation in my opinion. If you are going to take the time to cook it, make it the best you can.
The original recipe this is based off of is heavier on the garlic & doesn’t have the mushrooms and a few other things, so if that appeals to you and your family more, here is the link to that recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/penne-with-sausage-garlic-broccoli-rabe-10000001932654/
Healthy Sausage & Rabe Pasta Recipe
Sausage & Rabe Pasta Recipe
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 6 oz spicy chicken sausages
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 4 oz broccoli rabe
- 8 oz Campanelle (or other sturdy pasta)
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3-5 sun dried tomatoes
- 3 oz Crimini mushrooms (also called baby Portabella/ baby bella)
- 2-3 tbs. white wine
- 1 tbs olive oil
- chopped walnuts
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Put pot of water on to boil, while waiting, chop onions, mince garlic and remove casing from sausage and coarsely chop.
- Once water is boiling, chop ends off rabe stems & pop the rabe into the pot of boiling water. Blanche for 2 minutes, then remove from water with tongs or slotted spoon and set aside.
- Put pasta in the already boiling water, and cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, put butter in large skillet over med-high heat.
- Once hot add the onions, garlic, sausage and thyme. Saute until onions are cooked. (While cooking: Slice mushrooms and cut sun-dried tomatoes into strips.)
- Add the mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Saute until mushrooms are cooked.
- Add wine, stir, then add the pasta, stir over heat for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Serve with chopped walnuts and grated Parmesan as toppings if you like.
- Calories: 350
- Sodium: 300
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 48
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 16