This Sausage Peppers and Onions skillet recipe with Balsamic makes fantastic sandwiches. The Italian sausage dish makes a budget-friendly entree served over pasta or rice too. Italian American comfort food at it’s best… weeknight dinner the easy way!
In the heat of summer, I do not like to fuss too much in the kitchen. I want simple and quick, and I want to take advantage of fresh summer ingredients. This Balsamic Sausage, Peppers and recipe featuring bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette meets those criteria.
Sausage Peppers and Onions Skillet
The primary element of this recipe is the saute of the sausage and vegetables. While I’ve presented it in a sandwich, it also goes great with pasta or rice. I’ll walk you through the simple recipe here, or jump down to the printable recipe card if you prefer.
The recipe makes 4 servings and total time to prepare is about 20 minutes.
- Italian sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces I used sweet sausage, but feel free to use hot if you prefer.
- sweet onions, sliced
- bell peppers, sliced I used sweet yellow and red peppers
- Balsamic vinaigrette (bottled)
Optional*** salt and pepper to taste
After the Italian sausage, sweet bell peppers, and onions are sliced, put them in a large bowl and pour in the Balsamic dressing. Toss to coat.
Preheat a skillet to medium high heat. Dump in the sausage and cook for 3-5 minutes while stirring. Next, reduce the burner to medium heat and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If you have one of those handy skillet baskets for the grill, that would work too.
Here, I served my Balsamic Sausage and Peppers on nice crispy grilled ciabatta bread (a regular Hoagie roll would be good as well). I simply topped it with a few slices of sharp provolone and enjoyed. YUM!
A some more easy sausage recipes you may enjoy.
- Kielbasa and Potatoes Recipe
- Smoked Sausage Stuffing Muffins
- Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Vegetables
- Andouille Sausage Pasta
- Sausage and Pepper Soup
Sausage Peppers and Onions Recipe
- 12 oz. Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 large sweet onion
- 2 large sweet peppers or 8-10 mini sweet peppers
- 1 1/2 tbs Balsamic Vinaigrette I used Newman's Own
- Prep and slice the onions and peppers. Slice the sausage into bite sized pieces.
- Place all in a large bowl and add the Balsamic Vinaigrette. Toss to mix and allow to marinate a few minutes.
- Place in hot skillet over med-high heat and saute for 3-5 minutes, then reduce burner to medium and cook for 10 minutes more. Stirring occasionally.OR Place in preheated grill basket over med-high heat and toss every few minutes until vegetables are cooked through.
- Serve over rice, pasta or in a sandwich.