These Apple Oatmeal Muffins are what I call mildly sweet. Many times, when I want something sweet, I don’t want something that is tooth numbingly so, especially in the morning. I am looking for something more in the range of “sweet like over ripe fruit”. I think this growing preference is probably related to all the home cooking I do, and cutting out the bulk of chemicals and preservatives in our diet around here.
This recipe for Apple Oatmeal Muffins is gluten-free, and high in soluble fiber. Each individual standard size muffin contains a half serving of oatmeal. If your teen grabs two on the way out the door in the morning, you just got a full bowl of oatmeal and a 1/3 of an apple into them… they would have probably put sugar on their oatmeal anyway.
My excruciatingly fussy 5 year old daughter even ate one. That is her little hand, I caught swiping one while I was taking pictures. I had a couple for breakfast the next day, and unlike most day old gluten-free home baked goods, they were still nice and moist.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure your oats are gluten-free. They are commonly contaminated with wheat products, but gf oats are available.
- 2 Gala apples
- 2 tbs turbinado sugar or regular sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 coat apples, 1/2 in flour mix
- 3 cups oats , gluten-free
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour*
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c oil
- 2/3 cup almond milk any milk will do
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Core and peel apples, then dice them small.
- Add 2 tbs sugar, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon, stir and put aside.
- Place oats in food processor and grind down to a flour texture. Add rice flour, tapioca starch, baking powder & salt. Mix well.
- In large mixing bowl beat eggs, add milk, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar & oil.
- Add the flour mixture, and churn well with paddle attachment.
- Add the apples and mix until evenly distributed.
- Scoop the batter into large lined muffin cups. Fill close to top.
- Sprinkle tops with course sugar.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes.