Cavatelli and Broccoli is an easy hearty vegetarian recipe. This simple cavatelli recipe makes a great family dinner for Meatless Monday or all-in-one side dish anytime. Cavatelli with broccoli is a classic combination, close to many Italians hearts.
This easy cheesy Cavatelli with Broccoli recipe is one of my go-to comfort foods. It is a budget friendly meal too!
Because I grew up in Rhode Island , I grew up eating cavatelli. We have a thriving Italian culinary culture around here. Although I don't have a drop of Italian in me, like most locals, Cavatelli is kind of standard fare for me.
If you are not familiar with this pasta, cavatelli is made with ricotta cheese right in the dough. The shape of the pasta is sort of like a chubby canoe or taco.
Cavatelli is most often found in the frozen food section right with the frozen ravioli and tortellini. It is a filling pasta and great for cradling sauce in the fold... and it is wonderful with broccoli!
If you are a broccoli and cheese lover, you must try my Broccoli Au Gratin, Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast and Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe as well!
How to Make Cavatelli and Broccoli
Here the cavatelli and broccoli is served in a creamy cheese sauce seasoned with garlic. It's a quick hearty meatless meal on it's own or serve it along with some grilled or roasted meat. Just be cautious about having eyes too big for your stomach with this one... I wasn't kidding when I said the cavatelli pasta is filling.
Cook time: 15 minutes |
Ingredients for the recipe.
- broccoli fresh or frozen
- butter or olive oil
- a clove of garlic, minced
- chicken stock
- heavy cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes *** optional
Printable recipe card with adjustments by serving is below.
Directions with Pictures
Here are some images showing how easy it is to make cavatelli with broccoli.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then drop in the cavatelli pasta. Stir with a slotted spoon to avoid sticking. Proceed with cooking cavatelli until it is al dente (a little underdone).
Drain the pasta water and set aside, to add to the rest of the dish later.
In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter, then sauté the garlic in it.
Once the garlic is cooked, add the broccoli and sauté.
- If using frozen broccoli florets , just 1 minute.
- If fresh broccoli, until firm yet cooked.
Then add the chicken broth and cream. Simmer, stirring regularly for 5 minutes.
Turn off burner and stir in the cheese.
Combine the cavatelli with the broccoli. Folding together until well mixed and the pasta is coated.
Add remaining cheese and serve.
Make this meatless meal any night. Serve with some Raspberry Iced Tea and maybe an Applesauce Cake or Strawberry Pie for dessert.
Cheesy Cavatelli and Broccoli Recipe
- 1 pound cavatelli (I used frozen)
- 12 oz broccoli (I used thawed frozen)
- 1 tbs butter or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar plus a little to sprinkle on top
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes **** optional (just a sprinkle)
- Boil cavatelli in salted water until a little underdone. Drain the pasta water and set cavatelli aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until cooked through.
- Add broccoli and saute 1 minute, then add the broth and cream. Simmer for 5-6 minutes, then shut off burner & add cheeses, stir until smooth, then add cavatelli and fold in until well coated.
- Season with red pepper flakes and/or salt and pepper, if you like. (optional)
- Sprinkle on some more cheese to serve.
Angela S says
This is my kind of comfort food. It looks delicious!
Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy.com says
I've never tried cavatelli, I don't think. This dish looks incredibly tasty.
Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell says
This was just right for an easy dinner. The kids liked it.
Jennifer G says
I made this pasta with broccoli rabe and extra garlic yesterday. It is one of my favorite dishes.
Robin Gagnon says
I like pasta with broccoli rabe as well, but prefer cooking it in more of a broth based sauce. I make it with Pecorino Romano cheese and white beans for a healthy meatless dinner.