This hearty wilted dandelion salad recipe is great year round, but especially so in the spring or fall when dandelions are naturally in season. The nutritious dandelion salad features lightly caramelized golden beets, crimini mushrooms, sweet peppers and the ancient grain Kamut (though other wheat berry strains can be substituted). Great as a vegan entree salad or a side for grilled and smoked meats.
Dandelion Salad Recipe: The Health Benefits
There are many nutritional health benefits to eating this dandelion salad. Let’s look at a few of the ingredients used in the recipe.
Dandelion Greens Health Benefits
Like most bitter greens dandelions are helpful in liver cleansing. The greens are also an excellent diuretic, helping to flush out those toxins from liver, kidneys and elsewhere in the body. Dandelion aids in digestion, and is purported to help blood pressure too. As far as dandelion nutrition benefits, the greens are loaded with Vitamin A, are a great source of Vitamin C, calcium, iron and fiber and also provide Vitamin B-6 and magnesium.
Health Benefits Golden Beets
Golden beets are good source of calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene & potassium. They are low in calories and provide ample fiber, making them a great choice for those hoping to lose weight. There is also some evidence that the phyto-nutrients in golden beets improve heart health.
Kamut Health Benefits
This ancient wheat is higher in protein than it’s modern counterparts making it a terrific addition to vegetarian meals. If gluten is a concern, Kamut is naturally lower in gluten and many who can’t eat other wheat strains can eat it without issue. A serving of Kamut provides slightly over a full the full recommended daily allowance of manganese, which is essential for bone health. The nutrient is especially important for older women. The grain is also an excellent source of phosphorus, niacin, thiamin, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Kamut packs an amazing 7 grams of fiber per serving too.
Can I Eat Dandelion Greens from my Yard?
If you don’t use pesticides or other questionable lawn products in your yard…. and Fido isn’t dropping bombs out there there is no reason not to harvest dandelion green from your own yard. Keep in mind you want to harvest the dandelion greens relatively young and your yard will have to be large and weedy enough to provide ample greens.
Dandelion Salad Recipe: Making
I’m not going to kid you, this dandelion salad recipe, though easy, does take a block of time (especially if you don’t have Kamut pre-boiled). I think it is worth the little extra effort though and the abounding nutrition of this salad along with the fact it can last several days in the refrigerator are huge pluses.
Time Saving Tip
Save time and hassle… order groceries and household products through Prime Pantry and get them delivered right to your door! There are frequent deals and even coupons available right at your fingertips.
Caramelized Golden Beet, Kamut, and Dandelion Salad
- 1-1 1/4 lb golden beet peeled and small diced
- 1/2 tbs oil olive or coconut
- 1 clove garlic large or 2 small, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 bunches dandelions approx. 1 pound, coarsely chopped
- 1-1 1/4 cups sweet peppers diced
- 6 oz crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup cooked Kamut or other wheat berries
Dandelion Salad Dressing
- 1 zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place the golden beets in a skillet with oil over med-high heat. Saute until just starting to soften. Reduce heat to medium, then add the garlic and salt. Saute another 2-3 minutes. Remove from burner and set aside.
- Mix dressing ingredients together well, making sure the honey is fully dissolved.
- Place the chopped dandelion greens in a large bowl, toss with the dressing.
- Add the sweet peppers, crimini mushrooms, kamut and golden beets, tossing well to coat everything. Allow to wilt for at least a half hour, tossing occasionally.
- Serve as an entree salad, or along with grilled meats. Leftovers in refrigerator are good for several days.
More Fresh Delicious Recipes!