This article is sponsored by Stop & Shop. All opinions, tips, and the recipe are my own.
Picking up healthy beach snacks at our local Stop and Shop recently, not only led to a great beach day, but also a delicious Blueberry Chicken Salad for that evening's dinner.
Healthy Beach Snacks
When the dog days of summer hit, there is one place Rhode Islanders want to be... the water. We are no exception.
It is important to bring a variety of healthy snacks with you to the beach, so your visit doesn't get cut short by hungry kids. It is also helpful in avoiding unhealthy fried food, fast food or convenience store junk food. My one stop the evening before or even on our way to the beach is Stop and Shop.
I can get everything I need there. I grab Keto friendly snacks for myself like:
- cheese (string cheese or pre-sliced)
- goodies from their olive bar (olives, feta, and marinated mushrooms are all low carb)
For my daughter and our friends, I pick up:
- fresh fruit and veggies
- Nature's Promise chips and pretzels
- granola bars
- Greek yogurts cups (my daughter's favorite).
Wipes, a bag of ice and a package of mixed utensils covered our other needs. It is good to know items like sunscreen, bug spray or even a cooler can be picked up here too, if you've forgotten anything.
I grabbed a copy of their Savory magazine to browse while at the beach. This is what inspired the Blueberry Chicken Salad with Pecans and Feta that I made for dinner later. The free magazine is packed with tips, recipes and coupons. It is certainly worth a read.
The current issue of the magazine has an article on healthy tips for the beach. So check that out for more healthy snack ideas. See page 35, in the July/August issue.
We had a lovely day at the beach. As it was a weekend, my friend and I decided to avoid the saltwater beach traffic this time and visit one of our favorite freshwater beaches.
It is one of my daughter's favorite spots and she was happy to have some of her favorite snacks to enjoy between water sessions. I was reading the Savory magazine during one of our swimming breaks. It featured quite a few easy dinner salads and many recipes featuring fresh seasonal fruits.
I used the recipes for inspiration to make a salad featuring the leftover blueberries and pecans we brought as snacks. The results were scrumptious.
Blueberry Chicken Salad with Pecans and Feta
I don't want to fuss around cooking after a long day at the beach. This simple blueberry chicken salad makes a great light dinner and only takes a few short minutes to prepare.
Here are all the ingredients you will need to make this healthy low carb salad.
The only prep to making this salad is chopping up some rotisserie chicken. everything else is ready to add, as is.
Then just assemble and drizzle the dressing on.
At 7 net grams of carbs, I can even fit this salad into my Ketogenic diet.
Blueberry Chicken Salad with Feta and Pecans
- ½ rotisserie chicken meat , deskinned and chopped (approx 4 ounces)
- 5 oz Nature's Promise Organic Power Blend Salad Mix (this is the smaller container)
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup Nature's Promise White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Cut or shred half of a rotisserie chicken. You will get 4 to 5 ounces of meat.
- Empty the container of salad mix onto a large platter.
- Top with the rotisserie chicken, blueberries, feta and pecans.
- Drizzle on the White Balsamic Vinaigrette and serve.