Here in Rhode Island we have a strong Italian-American presence. Federal Hill has always been a hub of the Italian community in our area, and is especially known for it's restaurants. I decided to bring a little Italian flair to the everyday hot dog in honor of this community and area. I came up with this Federal Hill Hot Dog recipe as a result. It is a pretty easy and inexpensive recipe featuring grilled hot dogs wrapped in pepperoni and a simple relish of sweet onions and Italian herbs.
- package of Bun Length Franks
- 16 sandwich slices of pepperoni
- handful of fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- smaller handful of fresh Italian parsley de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 sweet onion diced
- ⅛ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 hot dog rolls
- Wrap each frank in two slices of sandwich pepperoni, and secure with toothpicks.
- Place overlap side down on preheated medium heat grill. Flip after a couple minutes and cook until pepperoni crisps.
- While grilling, mix together the basil, parsley, onion, salt and vinegar to make the herb onion relish.
- Place a pepperoni wrapped frank in each bun and top with the onion herb relish.