These dark chocolate pomegranate cookies are scrumptious, yet a smarter choice as far as desserts go.
Brought to you be Brookside.
Have you had the opportunity to discover Brookside Chocolates yet? Brookside Chocolates feature soft fruit flavored centers that are covered with smooth dark chocolate. While dark chocolate itself has been much touted for it's health benefits in recent years, the fruits used in these chocolates are several of the "superfruits" which are known for their strong antioxidant properties, such as Pomegranate & Acai. This makes for a delicious combination with added nutritive benefits.
I've actually had their Dark Chocolate Pomegranate chocolates before and enjoyed the burst of tangy fruit flavor nestled inside the sweet chocolate. As I've tried them before, I decided to incorporate them into a "healthified" cookie recipe, with lots of chocolate and some smart additions like whole wheat flour, Chia seeds and almonds. I've included the recipe for you below.
I grabbed a bag of the Acai with Blueberry & one of the Goji with Raspberry, which I had never seen before. Both chocolates were quite delicious, my guests and myself enjoyed both considerably.
More desserts you may like:
- ½ cup spread one of the heart smart varieties, but not fat-free
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tbs Chia seeds
- 7 oz. bag of Brookside Dark Chocolate Pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the spread and sugar, then add the egg, vanilla and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix flours, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon & cardamom.
- Combine the dry and wet mixes, and mix well, then mix in the almonds and chia seeds.
- Pour the bag of Brookside Dark Chocolate Pomegranate candies onto a butcher block or cutting board. Cut the larger chocolates in half by rocking a good size chef knife back on them, then fold the chocolates into the cookie dough until evenly distributed.
- Drop dollops of the dough onto parchment about an inch & a half apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Then cool on racks.