This delicious Sausage and Pepper Soup is not only low carb it is low in calories as well. The soup is a great way to get protein while also eating plenty of colorful vegetables. The quick and easy soup recipe is all about great taste, lots of nutrients, and no fluff.
I made this soup with chicken sausage, but you can of course use regular Italian sausage if you prefer with minor adjustments.
Sausage and Pepper Soup: A healthier choice
When focusing on healthy eating, my mindset is to stick with nutrient rich ingredients and avoid empty calories as much as possible. This recipe is a great example of that. Plenty of veggies and a low sodium broth are teamed with a smart protein choice in an all natural Chicken Sausage. The sausage adds extra flavor elements beyond simple chicken and personally find it more pleasant to prepare than handling raw chicken.
Keeping in mind busy family life, the soup can be prepared in about 30 minutes. Family members with more hearty appetites (and no cares about carbs) serve the soup along with a bowl of rice or some crusty Italian bread.
How to Make Low Carb Sausage Pepper Soup
Preparing this low carb soup is easy and I am going to walk you right through the process through pictures. Even if you struggle with cooking, no worries, you've got this. Full printable recipe card is below.
First, chop up your peppers, onion and garlic. Then I like to peel the skin off the Roasted Red Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausages. No need to be fussy about it and you can even skip this step if you prefer.
Now cut the sausages in half lengthwise, lay flat and slice into bite sized pieces.
Place a large pot or deep wide skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil onions and the chicken sausage.
Note: If you opt to use a higher fat Italian sausage, omit to olive oil and fry the meat and vegetables in the fat rendered from the sausages.
Saute until onions just start to get translucent. Then add the Italian seasoning...
and the minced garlic....
and the sliced peppers.
Saute for a few minutes until sausage is slightly browned and peppers are still a little crisp, but softer.
Add the fire roasted canned tomatoes to the sausage and peppers.
and the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Cover and continue cooking over medium high heat.
Add fresh spinach to the pot right before serving.
Turn off the burner. Stir the soup. The spinach will quickly wilt and mix into the soup, but maintains it's fresh green color.
Serve the soup right away. It is still nice served later or as leftovers, but I like it best freshly made.
Some of my other chicken sausage recipes
- Mexican Sausage and Corn Salad
- Mediterranean Sausage Pasta
- Low Carb Chicken Sausage Risotto
- Cheesy Chicken Sausage Skillet with Italian Veggies
- Chicken Sausage Bacon Ranch Salad
Sausage and Pepper Soup Recipe
- 12 ounce al fresco Roasted Red Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausages (one package)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onions chopped
- 2 cups sweet peppers sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 15 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes , canned
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Place pot over medium high heat burner. Add oil, sausage and onions. Saute until the onions start to soften.
- Add the peppers, garlic and Italian seasoning. Continue to saute until sausage it just starting to brown at edges.
- Pour in the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and cover. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Shut off burner and toss in the fresh spinach. Stir until wilted. Serve promptly.