As soon as I tried the feisty Hot Chili Pesto sauce from our sponsor Filippo Berio, I immediately wanted to try it with seafood. The spicy sauce is based on an old Roman recipe and bursting with flavor. Due to the piquancy of the pesto I kept ingredients to a minimum in this Hot Chili Pesto Shrimp Recipe. It is simply wild American shrimp, diced sweet onions and a little olive oil. The great thing about this line of pesto sauces is the intense gourmet flavor we can get so easily.
Hot Chili Pesto Shrimp
I first tried some of the Hot Chili Pesto on large shell-on shrimp. I sauteed them in olive oil, which I generously seasoned with the chili pesto and tossed with some yellow summer squash and onion. We ate them peel & eat style and while they were great, I wanted to share an easier dish to eat that and utilize even more of the great taste of this pesto.
Although the sauce is definitely not a curry, it does have a spicy depth of flavor and similar consistency when used as I have here. While I opted to stick with an ample dose of chopped sweet onion in the dish, vegetables that serve well in curies, such as eggplant, greens, mushrooms and summer squash would also go nicely in a dish featuring this chili based sauce.
Serving the Chili Shrimp over plain pasta or steamed rice (or cauliflower rice) is best. I made some pesto bread to go along side it, by basting slices of crusty bread with a 50/50 mixture of Classic Pesto and olive oil. Then baking in the oven until lightly browned. My friend reheated the leftover shrimp and ate them with fried eggs for breakfast.
Find the full printable recipe below.
For another quick and delicious dish featuring these Filippo Berio pesto sauces, try my Grilled Tomato Ricotta Pesto Vegetable Bruschetta.
More Recipes You May Like
- Keto Tuscan Chicken Instant Pot
- Pesto Tortellini Salad
- Shrimp, Asparagus & Heirloom Tomato Ginger Scampi
- Baby Artichoke Recipe over Linguine with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Garlic, and Lemon
- Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta
Hot Chili Shrimp Recipe
- Place skillet or dutch oven over med-high heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add about ¼ of the jar of chili pesto to the onions and stir.
- Add the shrimp and saute until the shrimp is just cooked through.
- Add the remaining pesto sauce. Mix well and cook until the sauce is hot, then remove from burner.
- Serve. A little fresh basil on top makes a nice garnish or simply serve over pasta or rice.