This Shrimp Scampi with Asparagus and Tomatoes recipe is easy to make and perfect for a special dinner.
Although we are technically in fall now, heirloom tomatoes are still readily available in my area. I took advantage of the fall asparagus crop, as well to elevate Shrimp and Tomato Scampi to a more seasonally exciting dish. I took full advantage of this economical bounty in this Shrimp, Asparagus & Heirloom Tomato Ginger Scampi. Shrimp & ginger round out the dish as a celebration of late summer - early fall. The Shrimp are reminiscent of sunny days at the shore, while ginger root not only harkens to the fall harvest of root crops, but makes for a spicy and aromatic marriage with the garlic of scampi. A simple addition that lifts the dish up a little, at least it did for me, as a noshed down on it...lol.
Looking for a spring version, try my Shrimp, Asparagus & Tortellini in Lemon-Dill Scampi
Don't have a tomato harvest of your own? Read my tomato gardening articles:
How to Grow Tomatoes in Raised Beds
Shrimp, Asparagus & Heirloom Tomato Ginger Scampi Recipe
- 1 bunch asparagus approx 10 oz.
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- 1 ½ cups small heirloom tomatoes cut larger ones
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- ¼ cup white wine
- 12 oz dry pasta preferably spaghetti or linguini
- Put salted water on for pasta, and cook to al dente while performing other steps.
- Cut woody ends off asparagus, then diagonally slice the spears.
- Place butter and oil in skillet over med-high heat, once melted add the asparagus and reduce to medium. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger, saute an additional minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook stirring regularly until the skins have split and tomatoes are hot through.
- Add the shrimp, lemon and wine, saute until shrimp is just about cooked, then add the cooked and drained pasta. Toss over heat, until well coated and everything is evenly distributed.
- Serve hot with fresh lemon or grated cheese.
Oooooo I love anything with shrimp AND pasta!!! Looks delicious
Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy.com says
So many of my favorite things. It looks delicious!