Classic Mediterranean flavors rarely fail. This simple Saffron Fish recipe elevates Mahi Mahi, into a healthful and delicious meal.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Pompeian.
I have a tendency to cook one of two ways, I either pile on the spices in a sort of in your face flavor explosion, or I go to the opposite extreme and and lend respect to the individual delicate flavors of fine ingredients. Today’s recipe, for Saffron Fish, is all about the latter. It is quite a simple dish: good quality fish, saffron threads, pinch of salt and Pompeian Varietals Arbequina olive oil.
I’m pretty fussy about seafood. I consider flavor, sustainability, healthfulness & source, before buying. Mahi Mahi is a favorite of mine these days, since it is a firm fleshed fish with nice mild flavor, moderate mercury, and most here in the U.S. comes from plentiful populations off the coast of Ecuador. It teams well with another smart culinary choice, the mild yet fruity, taste of Arbequina olive oil from the Pompeian Varietals Collection. The saffron compliments these flavors without overwhelming them, yet has the opportunity to have it’s voice clearly heard in the result (important when you consider the costliness of saffron threads).
As you can see preparing the saffron fish recipe is extremely simple.
Tip: Cod (shown here) and other fish can be prepared this way as well. More care must be used with flakier fish though. Pan frying or using protective foil when grilling would be my advice.
More Seafood Recipes!
- Garlic Crusted Tilapia
- Cucumber Ranch Shrimp Pasta Salad
- Southwest Lobster Roll
- Lemon Baked Cod – Easy Keto Recipe!
- Blackened Salmon
Saffron Fish Recipe : Mediterranean Mahi Mahi Two Ways
- 2 Mahi Mahi fillets* one pound
- 1 tbs Pompeian Varietals Arbequina olive oil
- 1/8 tsp Kosher salt
- Generous pinch of saffron for each fillet
- Place fillets on dish. Mix together the oil , salt and approximately 1/2 of the saffron, then pour over fillets and turn to coat.
- Preheat grill. Once hot place fillets top side down, and reduce heat to low, after 3-4 minutes to seal top, turn and gently crush the rest of the saffron over the fillets. Cook the fish through, without turning again.
- Sprinkle the fillets with salt and most of the saffron.
- Heat oil in pan over med, and add fish as soon as it's hot. Immediately reduce heat to low. Cook for 4-5 min, then turn. Top with remaining saffron, cover and cook through.