Many times people think of coconut milk as being mostly for desserts, beverages or exotic cuisines. Sure it is great in all of those, but with a little attention to the flavor characteristics of this delightful liquid, it can meld lovingly into more traditional European style dishes too. A Creamy Chicken and Mushroom saute is just such a dish. Even Julia Child presented such a dish to her loyal fans, and I have served similar in high end Italian restaurants. The thing is many have to avoid cream dishes due to dairy issues, but with coconut milk they can still be enjoyed. A few small additions and omissions and this non-dairy creamy chicken and mushroom saute totes along the great flavors of it’s European roots, while demurely providing wisps of coconut scent and flavor.
The following is brought to you by Silk. All opinions and recipe are my own.
Silk Original Coconut Milk is used in this recipe. I have been buying their unsweetened almond milk consistently over the past few years, but hadn’t tried the straight coconut milk, until a couple months ago. Now, I keep my fridge stocked with both, since I prefer each for different things. Silk products are non-GMO certified, so I’m quite happy to have them always on hand for my family. Many Americans avoid dairy for a host of reasons, and Silk’s vegetable based versions of dairy products, are immensely helpful in this.
Want to Save Money on Silk!
When you register with Silk and they will send you a 75 cent off coupon plus more coupons and a birthday bonus, as well as monthly chances to win a year’s supply of Silk and updates on other sweeps and promotions. Follow Silk on Facebook for new product announcements, recipes, fun & promotions.
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbs fresh thyme if using dried, just use a tsp
- 1 pound of chicken breast sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup Silk Coconut Milk
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbs low sodium chicken base
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tbs water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place oil in skillet over medium heat, once hot add the onions, saute until just translucent, then add garlic and thyme. Saute until garlic is cooked through and onions are just starting to brown. Add the chicken & mushrooms, saute until chicken is no longer pink on outside and mushrooms are starting to soften.
- Pour in the coconut milk, add bay leaves and chicken base. Stir, once the sauce starts to bubble reduce to low-medium. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir the corn starch into a tbs of water,and add the sauce. Stir until thickened.
- Serve over your choice of starch.
What do you want to make with Silk?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.