This Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Recipe is super easy thanks to the use of frozen vegetables. No prep work, just dump them out.
I am a big fan of roasted vegetables, but don’t make them as often as I like, especially when in a hurry, because of prep time. Perhaps, it may have occurred to some of you already, but I had never tried roasting frozen vegetables before. The veggies were already prepped, and the freezing process locks in nutrients, so if it worked, I would have a very handy little trick. My freezer is always pretty packed with frozen fruits and vegetables.
Since I love the combination of quinoa and roasted vegetables, and had a mixed bag of Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots conveniently in my freezer already, I decided an easy Roasted Vegetable Quinoa recipe would be lunch this day.
Here are pics of the frozen vegetables, before and after roasting. It worked out great, the quinoa was just about ready for them to be added when they came out of the oven. This makes for a nice quick vegetarian meal. It has 3 of my most favorite vegetables to roast in it, and can be on the table in less than a half hour.
The recipe yielded two hearty meal sized bowls of Roasted Vegetable Quinoa. I would say it would be good for about 4 sides, counting for both vegetable & starch.
More Easy Quinoa Recipes
- Ratatouille Soup with Quinoa
- Poblano-Lime Quinoa Recipe
- Black Bean Quinoa Soup
- Cheesy Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms with Quinoa and Zucchini
Easy Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Recipe made with frozen vegetables
- 1 bag of frozen California blend broccoli, cauliflower & carrots
- 1 tbs olive oil 2 tsp for vegetables, 1 tsp for quinoa
- 1 cup golden quinoa dry
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken if you prefer)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Empty the bag of frozen vegetables into a large mixing bowl. Use a piece of paper towel to wipe out any significant frost (don't be too fussy about this). Add 2 tsp of olive oil and toss.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 9-10 minutes, mix the vegetables around and return to oven after about 6 more minutes, retoss then roast a few more minutes (total roasting time about 20 minutes).
- While the vegetables are roasting, place a small skillet over med-high heat, add 1 tsp olive oil, quinoa and garlic, stir regularly until quinoa is toasted, but garlic is not burnt.
- Add stock, reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- Add the roasted vegetables to the skillet and drizzle sesame oil over them. Gently toss until evenly mixed.
- Serve with your choice of condiments. (My faves are either a a combination of sriracha, lime and soy sauce or just a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.)