This post brought to you by Manwich. All opinions are 100% mine.
We have all had those nights. Family members will be home late after a hectic day of work, school, activities, errands, etc. You know when they walk in the door they will be tired and half starved. On those nights, having a hearty and easily reheated meal ready for them, like this Manwich Feista Casserole, will be much appreciated.
The recipe features fresh vegetables and ground meat with Spanish rice and plenty of cheese, kicked up a notch with the addition of Manwich sauce. It certainly ads a nice sweet rich element to the dish.
This recipe is easy, but best for those evenings when dinner will be later as it needs some time in the oven. If you need some Easy Weeknight Meals that can be on the table a little quicker, check out the Manwich Recipes on their website. Many of those can be whipped up in a jiffy and are also quite easy to make.
Manwich is available in three varieties – Manwich Original, Manwich Bold and Manwich Thick & Chunky. I used the original in this recipe, since I was avoiding making this particular recipe spicy and the vegetables were already adding chunkiness. You could use whichever one you prefer though. Any one of them will provided a big boost of flavor to the meal.
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion peeled & chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers cored & chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper cored & chopped
- 1 pound ground meat of your choice I used ground chicken
- 1 box of Spanish rice
- 1 can of Manwich Original sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Once hot add the onions and peppers. Saute for 6-7 minutes, until peppers are starting to soften. Add the ground meat and saute until the meat is cooked.
- Add the rice & seasoning from Spanish rice box, Manwich and 1 cup of water. Stir well.
- Pour into a large (3 qt) casserole or lasagne pan. Stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheddar and the remaining water.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil stir and bake an additional 40-45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top and bake 5 minutes to melt and slightly crisp cheese.
- Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before serving.