Make your favorite sandwich into a family dinner! This Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is a hearty meal that you’ll put on the menu again.
This family-friendly “Philly Cheesesteak” Casserole recipe will satisfy their craving for the Cheez-Steak, while keeping your wallet from crying. It has all the yummy favors of a cheesesteak, all layered in a satisfying casserole. The hamburger works nicely in casserole and is less expensive.
They will surely be back for more, of this easy to make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole.
What is Philly Cheesesteak?
The original Philly cheesesteak was a sandwich made with thin-sliced beef, onions, and cheese. Today, you’ll find some kind of cheese sauce on them, either made with cheez-wiz or provolone cheese.
What’s in a Philly Cheesesteak Casserole?
To make this into a casserole, I made a few changes to the original sandwich recipe. Here’s what I put in it:
- Ground beef
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Cheez Wiz
- Sweet Peppers
- Crescent Roll Dough
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
After you make this recipe one time, you’ll be a pro at it! It’s that easy to make. The entire recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. But I have some photos of the entire process so you can make them right along with me.
1. Brown the Beef
The first step is to brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and Worcestershire once the beef is nearly cooked.
2. Saute the Peppers and Onions
In another pan, saute all the the bell peppers and sweet onions together.
If you don’t have time to chop your veggies for dinner, you can do this step ahead of time and just keep them in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
3. Put the ingredients in the casserole dish
Now you are ready to bake it! First, coat the dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the ground beef mixture on the bottom. Then, top it with the pepper and onion mixture.
Next, drizzle over the melted cheese.
Finally, lay the crescent roll dough on top.
Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
How to store leftovers
This is so delicious, you probably won’t have many leftovers. But if you do, you can store this in the casserole dish with a lid in the refrigerator for up to a week. After that, the crescent roll crust will start to change textures.
Can you make it ahead or freeze it?
The crescent roll dough doesn’t lend itself it freezing. However, if you want to save yourself some time, you can make the ground beef mixture and veggie mixture ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator.
Then, when you are ready to make the casserole, you just put all the ingredients in the dish and bake it.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is a fun Recipe that evokes the classic sandwich.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 4 oz sliced Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 oz Cheez Whiz or shredded Velveeta
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup sliced sweet peppers*
- 1/4 large Vidalia onion sliced*
- 1 clove of Garlic minced
- 1 can Crescent Roll Dough
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 13x9 baking dish (or coat with non stick spray) and set aside.
- Place skillet over med-high heat. Saute beef, mushrooms and Worcestershire until beef is browned.
- Drain and spread out into baking dish.
- Spread cheese over top of beef mixture.
- Sauteed garlic and vegetables over medium-high heat until peppers are soft.
- Spread the vegetables over cheese layer.
- Top the casserole with crescent dough.
- Bake 30 minutes or until dough is golden brown on top.
More Family Casserole Ideas
Feeding a family is easy when you put casseroles on the menu. Here are some of our favorites.
- Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole – What to do with Leftover Chicken
- Crock Pot Corn Casserole
- Crock Pot Tuna Casserole