Like many of you, I both have Thanksgiving leftovers overflowing my fridge, and feel the need to eat a bit lighter, post-Feastie. Luckily, I had a couple guy friends over who made a huge dent in the holiday desserts, and one of them came back on Friday to “help me out”, by “getting rid of some of the leftovers”… lol. I do still have a good amount of turkey leftover though. I also have kefir on-hand. I used it in some of the dishes rather than buttermilk, since a couple guests have lactose tolerance issues & I like it anyway.
For today’s lunch, I made a Turkey and Spinach Quinoa. A couple slices of nitrate-free bacon & some kefir gave this easy recipe a deceiving richness while keeping it healthy. A gluten-free recipe, which is also suitable for lactose intolerant individuals.Print
Turkey and Spinach Quinoa
Leftover Turkey and Spinach Quinoa
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 a large sweet onion (sliced vertically)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 slices of nitrate free bacon
- 1 cup of quinoa
- generous pinch of marjoram
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 3/4 cup Kafir (or substitute low fat buttermilk)
- 1 1/2 cups diced roast turkey
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- Chop bacon into small pieces.
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add bacon, onion, garlic, and quinoa. Fry until bacon has crisped, onions are soft and quinoa is well toasted. Toss in the marjoram. and stir to release flavors.
- Pour in the stock and kefir. Reduce burner to low-med, and cover to simmer.
- After 10 minutes, add turkey and spinach, then simmer until liquid is absorbed.