This quinoa recipe is inspired by the colors and flavors of fall. I was lucky enough to have a yellow pepper on hand, and due to my daughter’s near addiction to sweet potatoes, those are pretty much always available here. I love sun-dried tomato in my quinoa, so that seemed an obvious choice to round out my autumn leaves color palette. Pumpkin seeds scream fall, and pair wonderfully with quinoa, so they were toasted along with it. A few other herbs and seasonings fill out the seasonal taste.
This recipe is mildly sweet from the seasonal vegetables, and is packed with plenty of nutrients, to help brace you against the coming cold weather. It is a gluten-free vegetarian quinoa recipe, but is well suited as an entree for anyone, or would make a great side dish for pork, salmon or glazed meats.Print
Festive Fall Quinoa
Fall inspired quinoa recipe, featuring sweet potatoes, yellow peppers, sun-dried tomatoes & pumpkin seeds.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 tbs olive oil
- generous pinch of thyme (approx 1/4 tsp.)
- 1 cup golden quinoa
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomato (preferably not oil packed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced crushed garlic
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Put the oil in skillet over med-high heat.
- Once hot add the quinoa & pumpkin seeds, and toast them nicely.
- Add the sweet potato, pepper, onion, sun-dried tomato, bay, ginger & garlic. Stir frequently and continue to cook until onions start to show a little color.
- Add the stock and wine. As soon as it starts to boil, cover and reduce to low. Simmer 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.