This ham loaf recipe without ground pork is one of the best ways to use up leftover cooked ham from holiday dinners. After all, who wants to buy more meat to use up the leftovers.
You may just find that you like the ham better the second time around. The recipe is a delicious addition to the family dinner menu the week after a holiday.
Old fashioned ham loaf recipes are a great alternative to regular meatloaf. They are also known as Pennsylvania Dutch ham loaves and are a popular Amish food.
How to Make Ham Loaf
Let's make this fun easy leftover ham loaf! Print recipe card below.
Recipe makes 6-8 servings.
Prep time 15 min. | Cook time 60 min. | Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Loaf Ingredients (glaze below)
- evaporated milk
- Panko breadcrumbs
- black pepper
- dry seasoning blend (I suggest a no or low salt one such as Mrs. Dash or Spike, due to the high sodium content already in the ham.)
- 2 pounds Ham
- diced sweet onion *** optional
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, grind ham in a food processor or with a meat grinder. If you don't happen to have any ham, you can have your local local grocery store grind some for you. Some meat markets and butcher shops even stock ground ham.
Beat eggs, then combine eggs with the ground meat, evaporated milk, dry bread crumbs and seasonings. Mix well.
Next, take the meat mixture and form into a loaf and bake for the first 25 minutes.
Making Pineapple Brown Sugar Glaze
Once formed and you start baking it, it's time to make your glaze for the ham loaf.
Here are the ingredients you will need for the sticky pineapple sauce.
- brown sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- dry mustard powder (yes, you can swap Dijon mustard or even yellow mustard if you wish)
- crushed pineapple
Simply mix them together.
After the initial 25 minutes of baking, pour glaze on top of the ham loaf. You can brush loaf sides to ensure full coverage also.
Bake another 35 minutes uncovered, basting occasionally.
Here are a few side dishes that go well the ham loaf recipe:
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Pan-fried Sweet Potatoes
- Sauteed Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
You can also make the loaf with a combination of ground ham and pork. The typical ratio of the meats is 50/50, so swap in one pound ground pork. Using ground pork in the recipe will reduce the saltiness of the finished loaf.
Many also like to make smaller loaves or ham balls. these options are easy to serve and are also great with the pineapple glaze. Simple reduce bake time, depending on size.
Ham Loaf Recipe
- food processor or meat grinder
- baking pan or loaf dish
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry seasoning blend I suggest a no or low salt one such as Mrs. Dash or Spike, due to the high sodium content already in the ham.
- 2 pounds Ham ground, fully cooked
- ¼ cup diced sweet onion **Optional
- ⅓ cup Packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground dry mustard
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place ham in food processor and grind for approximately one minute (or use a meat grinder). Put the ground meat in a large mixing bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl. Then in the large bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, milk, pepper and dry seasoning blend with the ground ham and mix well.
- Shape the ham loaf mixture into a roughly 8 x 4" oval and place into a shallow baking dish or loaf pan.
- Bake the large loaf uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Combine glaze ingredients and spoon glaze over loaf.
- Place loaf back into oven and bake for an additional 35 minutes, basting occasionally with the glaze.
- Remove loaf from the oven and allow to cool a bit before putting on serving platter and slicing.