Here in New England, Baked Cod with Cracker Topping is a staple meal, especially on Fridays. It is served in most restaurants and many homes on a regular basis. We do love our seafood here. Sometimes I make it with a bit of an Italian style twist and that is the recipe I’m sharing with you today. It is quick and easy to make, so perfect for busy families. Due to the filling cracker topping, I typically just serve this baked cod with a side or two of vegetables and some lemon wedges. This seafood dinner is a breeze to make and due to the mild flavor of the fish, goes with a wide variety of sides.
As I mentioned, New Englanders tend to enjoy our seafood. I grew up eating plenty of it. We even went “quahogging” (clam digging) when I was a child and my mom would make a big batch of chowder and clam cakes after. Sadly, not everyone is so accustomed to eating seafood dishes regularly. Eating seafood is a great way to support your heart and brain health. It is also an excellent source of protein and the healthy fats known as omega-3s, so why not enjoy!
Baked Cod with Cracker Topping (Italian Style): Preparation
Let me show you how very simple this baked cod is to make. The Italian style cracker topping has just four ingredients. Full recipe below.
Simply mix minced/crushed garlic and chopped parsley with softened butter, then add crushed butter crackers. Spread the cracker topping mixture over the cod fillets. Ensure the fish is covered with topping and gently pat to help adhere, then pop it in a preheated oven. In just a few minutes, the cod is fully cooked and the cracker topping is crispy browned and delicious.Print
Baked Cod with Cracker Topping: Italian Style
An Italian style Baked Cod with Cracker Topping recipe that is quick and easy to prepare.
- Prep Time: 6 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb of cod fillets
- 2 tbs of butter, softened
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed/ finely minced
- 2 tbs of chopped parsley
- 25 round butter crackers
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the garlic and parsley into the softened butter, then crush the crackers and mix together well.
- Pat the cod fillets dry if necessary and arrange in a baking dish.
- Scoop the topping mixture over the fish. Make sure to cover the fish well. Gently pat to adhere the topping.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until the cod is cooked through and cracker topping is nicely browned and crisp.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges.